Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hummus


So when making the Aashe Reshteh, I soaked way too many beans, who knew they would expand so much. I decided to make Hummus. Usually you use chickpeas only but since I soaked red beans and chickpeas together I used bot and it turned out divine. I kind of followed a recipe I found from Chef Eric Ripert. Before making the hummus after the dry beans soak over night you need to boil them as you would a soup on low heat for about 1-2 hours or even more. Take out a bean to test and if it ceases being al dente you can start in on the recipe. Or as Chef Ripert put use a can of chick peas. The red beans did add a nice flavour though.

The Hummus:
1 can (15 oz) chick peas, drained
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Now you can either put the ingredients in a food processor or like me, have a good blender and that works as well. I had more (about double to triple the amount above) beans so I added double the ingredients but I added 2 teaspoons of cumin instead(I found that it was better with more).I recommend putting a little taste testing and modifying to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment