Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken Curry

This was a recipie my friend's boyfriend gave me and I checked its ingredients with and Indian Grad student I teach with. She claimed authenticity. Though I admit I didn't use my own spice mix. I used hot red curry powder and lots of red pepper flakes. I did not use chicken stock but used a bouillon cube in the water. Instead of canola oil I use extra virgin olive oil, and whole wheat King Arthur's flour instead of all purpose white flour and for apples I used fuji apples. That should be all the changes I made to it. It can be served over rice or eaten as a soup. I enjoyed this greatly.


Chicken Curry
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

3 tsp. canola oil, divided(Probably vegetable oil works just as well, this recipe is from a healthy cooking magazine)

3/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped carrot

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1 cup chopped peeled apple

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

2 cans(14.5 ounces each) chicken broth. [I used chicken stock instead of broth, I always do. You're probably familiar with stock, but if not it comes in a box as opposed to a can and the boxes are usually 32 ounces, so a little more than what this calls for. I used the whole box and did not find it to be too much liquid, of course I used slightly more veggies than it calls for to avoid leftover pieces of them hanging out in my fridge. In my opinion stock is WAY better tasting than broth and well worth the upgrade, makes a ton of difference]

1/4 cup tomato paste

2 to 3 tsp. curry powder

1 tsp. ground ginger

1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley. [At the time my store was out of fresh so I used dried and it came out ok. Would probably be better with the fresh though. If you do used dried just remember to use less of it. Dried spices are far more potent than fresh]

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in one tsp. oil for 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and set aside

2. In the same saucepan saute the onion, carrot, celery, and green pepper in the remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add apple; cook 2 minutes longer. Combine flour and salt. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; cook and stir one minute. Gradually stir in broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer until slightly thickened. 

3. Stir in the curry, ginger and pepper flakes. Return chicken to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

Done
!


No comments:

Post a Comment